One of Buckhead’s most significant historical homes, the Georgian estate “Knollwood” designed by the world-renowned Neo-Classicist architect Philip Trammell Shutze, has been sold by Atlanta Fine Homes Sotheby’s International Realty.
According to firm co-founder and CEO Jenny Pruitt, “This Woodhaven Road property, which became home to the Kiser family exactly 100 years ago, represents one of Atlanta’s major luxury sales and continues the legacy of this magnificent home, representative of 18th century English and American architecture.”
|The Kiser estate Knollwood at 3351 Woodhaven Road NW in Buckhead|
While no purchase price was announced, the property, at 3351 Woodhaven Road NW, had recently been listed at $4.9 million. The purchaser also was not identified.
Explaining the legacy of “Knollwood,” Jenny Pruitt noted “Two illustrious Atlanta families were the original owners of the property.”
Robert F. Maddox, mayor of Atlanta and president of the Atlanta National Bank during the early 1900s, bought 73 acres on West Paces Ferry Road and built an expansive summer home with stable and outbuildings which he named ‘Woodhaven.’ The home was so elaborate that President Theodore Roosevelt was the honored guest at a “white tie” dinner.
In 1911, William H. Kiser, scion of an Atlanta retail and real estate family, and his wife Lucy purchased the portion of the property with the original “summer cottage and developed formal terraced gardens considered among the finest in the city,” she explained.
|Standing in front of Knollwood are, left to right, Edyth|
Shadburn, a decendent of the Kiser family who grew up in
the home, with Betsy Akers, Wes Vawter, Henny Pruitt and
Barbara Morgan of Atlanta Fine Homes Sotheby's Realty.
When Philip Shutze, the renowned Neo-Classicist architect of Hentz, Adler and Shutze, was called upon by the Kisers to design their own home, “Knollwood,” he reportedly was inspired by the Georgian architecture of “Chatham,” an 18th century Virginia estate.
Pruitt added that, “One of its most admired features is the double curved staircase, which Philip Shutze modeled after one found in Clapton, England. The Kiser family entertained lavishly at Knollwood befitting one of Atlanta’s most prominent clans, and, at one point, three generations of the family lived in the magnificent residence.”
Knollwood, remained in the Kiser family until 1952. Ten years later, the address of the estate was changed from West Paces Ferry Road to Woodhaven Road with the construction of the Georgia Governor’s Mansion on part of the original property.